1. Meet Me Halfway
- cut your calories by taking your favourite (unhealthy) foods and eat HALF as much as you normally would
2. We're Not Cavemen, Use a Plate!
- Never eat out of the bag or package... that's the easiest way to lose track of how much you've eaten. Put 1 serving on your plate and put the rest away.
3. Use Your Plate as a Pie
- Not literally of course... use it to divide up your food! Start by using a 9-inch plate (not the 10 or 11 inch that most of us use) to make it easier to cut down the portions. Now divide that plate 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 whole grains, 1/2 fruits/vegetables.
4. Eyeball Portions with Everyday Objects
I love this! I got these from here. Use common objects you might find around your house to estimate your portions.
- cereal (1 c.) = a baseball
- salad dressing (2 Tbsp.) = a shot glass
- nuts (1 oz.) = a cupped palm
- cheese (1 oz.) = a ping-pong ball
- hamburger (3 oz.) = a mayo jar lid
- peanut butter (1 tsp.) = one die
- beef (3 oz.) = a bar of soap
- rice (½ c.) = an ice cream scoop
- potato = a computer mouse
- dinner roll = a yo-yo
- butter (1 tsp.) = a Scrabble tile
- fruit (1 c.) = a tennis ball
- cooked pasta (½ c.) = a golf ball
- fish (3 oz.) = a checkbook
- poultry (3 oz.) = a deck of playing cards